Indonesian Corn Fritters
Before we dive into the recipe, let's talk about these little bundles of joy. Indonesian Corn Fritters, also known as Bakwan Jagung, are crispy fritters made with fresh corn kernels, flour, and a medley of aromatic spices. They are like little flavor bombs that explode in your mouth with every bite. Trust us, you won't be able to stop at just one! So, put on your apron and let's get cooking!
- 1 1/2 tablespoon sunflower oil
- Oil for frying - use a high smoke point oil such as sunflower oil
- 30 grams fresh ginger, peeled and thinly sliced
- 7 garlic cloves, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 birds eye chillis chopped
- 2 small banana shallots or substitute with 1 red onion
- 2 sprigs of spring onion chopped
- 5 kaffir lime leaves thinly sliced
- 4 fresh corn cob, husk removed and kernels cut from cob
- 2 large eggs beaten
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin powder
- 3 pinches sea salt
- 1 pinch black pepper
- 6 tablespoons cornstarch
- Indonesian Tomato Sambal as a dipping sauce
- 2 cups fresh corn kernels (you can use canned corn if fresh isn't available, but fresh is always better!)
- In a large pan, heat 1 tbsp of oil over medium heat. Add garlic, chillis, ginger, red onion and stir for around 10 minutes until lightly golden brown.
- Transfer to a small food processor or a hand held blender plastic beaker.
- Add the spring onions, kaffir lime leaves and pulse until a medium-fine paste forms
- Transfer the mixture to a medium bowl and mix the paste with corn kernels, beaten eggs, coriander and cumin powder, salt and pepper. Add cornstarch.
- Fill a deep saucepan with enough oil for deep frying. Heat the oil until 170 Celsius for deep frying.
- Scoop 1 tbsp of the mixture into the hot oil in small batches and do not overcrowd the pan. Fry until golden brown, about 1-2 min each side. Drain the fritters on a wire rack over a baking sheet. Repeat until all batter is used up.
- Serve with our Indonesian Tomato Sambal
Dip those fritters in our spicy Tomato Sambal and take a bite. Let the crunch of the fritters and the heat of the sambal take you on a culinary adventure. Your taste buds will thank you!
So, the next time you're in the mood for a snack that's out of the ordinary, give these Indonesian Corn Fritters with our Tomato Sambal a try. They are the perfect combination of crispy, spicy, and downright delicious.